Reef Discovery Tour: Dive into the World Below
Prepare for an incredible underwater adventure without getting wet! Our air-conditioned semi-submarine (or glass bottom boat) takes you on a captivating Reef Discovery tour, offering a unique diver’s view of the Great Barrier Reef’s wonders. And the best part? It’s an included activity during your day at Michaelmas Cay.
What to Expect
- In-Depth Exploration: Situated just one metre below the waterline, our semi-submarine provides an up-close and personal encounter with the reef’s vibrant marine life. You’ll be in the heart of stunning coral formations, witnessing a bustling community of underwater creatures in their natural habitat.
- Informative Commentary: Our expert crew is your guide to the underwater world. They’ll provide engaging commentary, sharing insights about the colourful corals and fascinating marine life right before your eyes. Learn about the incredible biodiversity of the Great Barrier Reef in this interactive tour.
- Marine Marvels: Get ready to encounter a treasure trove of marine wonders. The reefs surrounding Michaelmas Cay are home to an array of spectacular giant clams, graceful sea turtles, majestic giant trevally, colourful hump-headed parrotfish, sleek black-tip reef sharks, and a mesmerising variety of tropical reef fish.
Hope onboard the Semi-Submarine/Glass Bottom Boat Reef Discovery tour, which lasts approximately 30 minutes, offers a captivating journey into the heart of the reef’s underwater splendour. The large viewing windows ensure you don’t miss a single detail of this remarkable world beneath the surface.
This extraordinary encounter with the reef is included in your day’s activities at no extra cost. So be sure to hop on board and join us for an unforgettable, up-close exploration of the world’s most spectacular natural wonders—the Great Barrier Reef. It’s an experience that promises wonder, amazement, and lasting memories.
Important Note: Prices are valid until March 31, 2024.
Your Ocean Spirit Adventure Begins
07:30 – Check-in at Ocean Spirit’s counter in the Reef Fleet Terminal
08:00 – Boarding commences. Morning tea with muffins and focaccia.
After that, it’s time to get underway!
08:30 – Depart Cairns
09:00 – Reef Brief, safety, and snorkel demonstration
09:30 – Marine Biologist slide show presentation
10:00 – Dive brief for introductory divers
10:30 – Arrive at Michaelmas Cay. Reef activities commence:
- Fish feeding presentation
- Semi-submersible coral viewing tour
- Introductory scuba diving. (Dive sessions are 11:00 am, 12:15 pm, and 1:30 pm)
Noon – Buffet lunch onboard
13:00 – Continue Reef activities
14:30 – Afternoon Tea onboard
15:30 – Commence sailing back to Cairns. Enjoy complimentary sparkling wine along with cheese and crackers.
17:00 – Arrive back in Cairns
Your cruise includes:
– Return Ocean Spirit cruise from Cairns
– Experience 4 hours at Michaelmas Cay on the Reef.
– Morning tea with muffins and focaccia
– Afternoon tea with tropical fruit platter and cake of the day.
– Hot and cold buffet lunch, including fresh prawns.
– Snorkelling equipment, lycra suits.
– Buoyancy vests.
– Marine Biologist presentation.
– Semi-submersible coral viewing tour with commentary.
– Fish feeding presentation on arrival.
– Glass of complimentary sparkling wine served on the homeward journey, with cheese and crackers.
What to Bring:
– Hat and shirt for sun protection. We recommend marine-friendly sunscreen.
– Swimwear and towel.
– Professional photo service on board (additional cost).
– Cash or credit card for option activities or onboard purchases.
Coach transfers provided by Quicksilver Connections and Down Under Tours
- Your camera and also Go Pro
- Swimming costume, towel in addition to a hat and sunscreen
- Cash or credit card for onboard purchases, souvenirs or optional activities
Ocean Spirit Cruises departs daily from the Cairns Marina.
Visitors are required to first check in inside the Cairns Reef Fleet Terminal
Check-in time is 7:45 am am for an 8:30 am departure returning to the Cairns Marina at 5 pm.
Safety Comes First onboard Ocean Spirit!
It is always our mission to provide our passengers with the very best Great Barrier Reef experience.
Queensland, Australia has some of the strictest scuba diving rules in the world. It also has the safest scuba diving record. The Queensland Government Code of Practice regulates us, and we comply with all regulations.
We recommend that our passengers complete our dive medical questionnaire before booking as some medical conditions, age, and medications may prevent you from scuba diving.
We are happy to help you with any questions you may have. Please contact our office at 07 4037 2700 or email us at [email protected]
Or you may like to consult your Doctor for a Dive Medical using the Australian Standard Forms ‘AS.4005.1
Flying after Scuba Diving
For a single no decompression scuba dive, you should not fly or go to altitude for at least 18 hours after a scuba dive. For multiple dives, you should not fly for 24 hours after your last dive.
If Skydiving or Hot Air Ballooning you must wait 24 hours after your dive.
We recommend waiting a minimum of 24 hours whenever possible.